This report looks at developers’ community engagement practices across a range of wind farm developments in the UK and the rest of Europe.
It concludes that important factors in community engagement are:
- wide-ranging and innovative methods of engagement;
- methods which facilitate dialogue (rather than just transmitting information);
- instances where action is taken on the basis of responses gathered;
- measures to keep engagement going through all stages including approval and construction;
- using a wide ranging definition of an ‘affected’ public; and
- identifying and implementing tangible benefits.
It makes recommendations for how best practice guidance on community engagement should evolve.