Reducing carbon emissions from the heating sector will depend on different policy instruments being developed in parallel and complementing each other.
This brief provides a high-level analysis of some of the main opportunities:
• Producing low carbon heat
• Infrastructure for efficient delivery of renewable heat to customers
• Improved efficiency in heat use
• Decarbonising existing heating systems
• Significant customer take up of lower carbon heating options
ClimateXChange commissioned this brief early in the preparation of the second Report on Proposals and Policies (RPP2). Its purpose was to help frame questions and lines of enquiry. The brief was produced to very tight deadlines as an input to thinking in this initial phase.